I've given up sugar for the next year. The minute I found out I had cancer I gave up sugar and artificial sweeteners. That was in October. I survived Halloween without a single Twix. I allowed myself some pie for Thanksgiving, some chocolate covered nuts for Christmas and New Years and a week of light daily indulgence when we went to Disneyland last week.
Now I'm ready to go gangbusters. I decided at Disneyland that I wouldn't have any sugar for 1 year - until my next Disneyland trip - with no breaks for the holidays. That means no candy, ice cream, chocolate, syrup, jam or soda pop. And somewhere in there I also hope to figure out how to balance other sugar sources like fruits and breads to their proper amounts. Aspartame also has a pretty bad rap in cancer nutrition so my Crystal Light and diet sodas and gum are out too. I have recently learned about Stevia, which is in my chocolate flavored Isagenix protein shake every morning. Sometimes I make one with peanut butter and extra ice and eat it at night like ice cream.
I've had a few friends do this in the past and I have been way impressed at the same time that I thought that they were nuts and missing out on the good stuff in life. But now I feel like it might help save my life, so I'm motivated!
So far so good. The kids bring home cookies and candy and I don't touch them. I even helped make chocolate chip cookies for dessert a few weeks back and didn't snitch a single smidgen. Last year, when A brought home candy from school, I drooled over it and begged for the Kit Kats and Twixes. This year I get nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Nothing for Easter, my birthday, Halloween, Thanksgiving or Christmas. Every kids dream, right? No candy taxes to Mom for the next year.
Anyone who's done this before - any tips on what to avoid and how to endure?
I have recently had the thought that it's kind of strange that we reward ourselves with something bad for us. "I've worked so hard, I deserve chocolate," etc. I did no sugar for a month. The first two weeks were bad but then I got used to it and hardly missed it all. I should probably try it again as lately I've eating way to much!
ReplyDeleteI wish I had the strength to do this with you. Maybe, if you're doing it for 12 months I might be brave enough to try it for a month with you. :) Maybe. I dont know.
ReplyDeleteDebbie- I wish I had the motivation and time to do all the amazing workout programs you do! Someday we'll get on the same page :)
ReplyDeleteSo hard! We have done it several ways. Once we allowed ourselves one small serving a week. Other times we have allowed a full binge day 12 times a year. I've got to say, the small serving once a week was a killer! It brought the cravings all back, every week! I think the way you've been doing it... just a small serving occasionally (like Christmas, Thanksgiving etc) is the ideal. And never let a tiny serving ruin your whole plan. Sometimes I would sneak something as small as a tootsie roll, and it would ruin my whole day! Sugar is all I could think about! I like to drink a full cup of water when I feel thirsty for sugar, and we used honey as a replacement if we ever felt the urge to have family night treats etc. I tried all sorts of yummy new fruits and found mangos were my favorite, and I really like green smoothies, or fruit smoothies as a sugar replacement. Any fruit that required no prep was best for a quick pick-me-up. Example: I could cut a kiwi in half, and dig in with a spoon right away. I grew to taste the sweetness in bread and squash... things I never considered sweet. I think it's a neat experience, and I hope you're enjoying yourself, especially knowing you're doing something so good!
ReplyDeleteGood for you, Heidi! I've been thinking a lot about sugar lately. It's EVERYWHERE. And things that used to be considered "treats" (like fruit snacks) have almost been adopted as one of the food groups. I made a goal to go without candy for 2012. It wasn't a huge sacrifice--I was still allowing myself other treats in moderation. I was just not eating candy. I made it through Easter, which you know was difficult for me (Cadbury Mini Eggs, anyone?!) but I gave it up around June. It was kind of strange--it didn't feel like caving in or giving up so much as just deciding, "Eh. I'm done for now." But I've been thinking a lot about nutrition again and your post is inspiring me. One thing that I find helpful (in regards to all dietary restrictions) is my attitude--to remember that I'm exercising my agency and not just denying myself. I would actually recite to myself, "I could eat that, but I choose not to" or "I would rather have a healthy body than that piece of candy." I think it's time for me to exercise some agency again! :)
ReplyDeleteI love all the previous comments and totally second them. I especially love the thought that we can embrace our free agency and rejoice in choosing to live healthy. I have been having treats only 1 day a week for about 6 weeks now and it actually has been fine for me. Like the other commentators, I am falling in love with good food and loving all the different flavors that I am discovering where sugar was hiding them.
ReplyDelete-Bridget
My only advice is to remember why you aren't eating the candy and that will outweigh the urge. Also, it gets easier and you do feel a lot better. If you find something else to keep your mind off the candy (read a book, exercise, play a game with your kids, take a nap, etc) then it will be easier as well. I didn't go an entire year without sweets, but did go 110 days and when I had my first dessert I really didn't feel like I missed out on much. Good for you taking a proactive stance. Heidi, you are an inspiration.
ReplyDelete