I have Stage 4 breast cancer in my bones. This is the record of my cancer battle - highs, lows and life's lessons.
Wednesday, December 19, 2012
Better Me Than Them... But Still No Fair!
Anthony and I watched a comedian on dvd last night and it made for a good laugh. He had this bit on there about how he hates going to the gym because he doesn't actually like to work out. The basic gist was that he goes and stands on the treadmill and watches The Food Network then picks up some McDonalds on his way home. I laughed because I can definitely relate!
But after the dvd was over and I was getting ready for bed and prepping for chemo today, this comedic bit was churning in my head and I was feeling pretty angry about it. It makes me mad that I have tried to take care of my health - I workout regularly, I eat decently (I say as I am snacking on Chex Mix), I'm mentally and emotionally stable and have healthy relationships. This summer when I signed up for Life Insurance (yeah, just in time, huh?) I was totally patting myself on the back for having a perfect blood report and even low cholesterol! So what gives?
There are so many health issues out there that are strongly tied to lifestyle. But this breast cancer stuff is aggravatingly unfair! Despite all I can do (and there are a zillion ideas out there) it might still come back to get me. Do I change my diet? Go chemical free? Get rid of my cell phone? Unplug my microwave? Take this or that herb or supplement? Move to a small farm in Wyoming 20 miles from anyone with no TV, computer or phone and eat only homegrown crops? I'm not about to go that far, but it's so aggravating that there is no obvious answer to fix this problem and doubly aggravating that I've been doing all the basic healthy things my whole life and yet it still got me! Stupid, stupid cancer!
My mind won't let me wander too far in a pity party though (at least not today). One thing I have thought of many times since this started is that I would so much rather have the disease be upon me than upon one of my little children. I don't necessarily think I "signed up" in heaven to take this instead of them, but I do know that I can have panic-attacks when my kiddos are sick (the first time A ever bonked his head I was nearly hyperventilating). If I have to fear for someone's well-being and life, I'd rather it be mine. Furthermore, in the wake of a tragedy like the Connecticut shootings, I am reminded once again that I'm still here! It may be scary sometimes, but at least for right now I am still here. I can still cuddle with my kids and spread a little cheer and love to someone else. I may not always be great at that, but I want to be.
At this moment Chemo Round 6 is on tap. I'm tired, cold and jittery right now, but can't quite fall asleep. If I follow my pattern, I'll go home in a couple hours, sleep until 5, wake up feeling fine but buzzy in my head, stay up until 2am and then get back into my regular routine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good luck Heidi! I've really appreciated your blog and how open you are with everything that's going on. I think I would spend a lot more time than you have feeling sorry for myself. It stinks when you're doing everything you can and crappy things still happen. And I'm sure it's frustrating when there's no one sure fire thing to do to fix it. I don't have anything profound to say. Just know (even thought I'm sure you already do) that there are lots of people thinking of you.
ReplyDeleteI know an awesome awesome girl who, you would think, would live forever based upon her health habits. Ran cross country for U of A, prime of her life, happy, optimistic, wonderful wonderful person, and she got colon cancer. Huh???? Thought only older people with other health problems got that. Cancer doesn't always make sense, that's for sure. Trials don't always make sense, but you seem to be facing this one with grace and courage. I'm so glad that you are still feeling so healthy, hope that you always do. Still saying prayers for you!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness Heidi, this post spoke to me. I have not been diagnosed with something as scary as cancer or had to undergo chemo, so I hesitated to even write my thoughts here. But I can't tell you how many times I have had this conversation with myself this past year. I have had health issue after health issue for the first time in my life, and I have always lived a very fit, active, healthy lifestyle. The other day I said to my husband "Why do these things keep happening? These are the kinds of things that happen to people who don't eat right, don't exercise, don't take care of themselves, or are old! I don't fit any of those!" Sometimes life just happens and we do the best we can and pray for help along the way. And I have also had the same thoughts about my kids. I am glad it is me instead of them. I can judge better how I'm feeling, I can usually know exactly when I should go see my doctor again, I can learn how to adjust and pull through...I would worry about those things on my children's shoulders. Anyways, just wanted to say this post spoke to me so much. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
ReplyDelete